Monday, April 03, 2006

The Big 5

I'm actually pretty excited to see Parliament in session again. It will be nice to see what this government can get done. And I do think that will be able to accomplish a lot of what they set out to do.

I don't have anything major to offer tonight. I would like to offer my brief take on the government's key priorities since everyone else seems to be making a big deal out of them.

The GST cut. As a student, I still fall into the category where I am not required to pay taxes. Any proposed cuts have no effect whatsoever upon my financial and well-being. I can see why personal cuts would be more beneficial in the long run but I can also see the reasoning behind this move. This really is a universal tax cut. Everyone pays it on practically everything. Savings might be small but they are there. My guess is that one will stay on the order paper.

Health-care Guarentee. Health-care is such a complicated issue I can't really hope to effectively sum up the issue in a few sentences. I really like the idea that if people need care, they should be able to get it. If that means that after a specified amount of time they are still unable to secure proper treatment within their region that they need to be mvoed elsewhere, so be it. I see not problem with this. I recently had eye surgery. Certainly not life threatening, but it took nearly seven years to finally get the problem fixed. That's a long wait and I think there's a real problem that needs to be fixed. I also think we need to be willing to look at other means of delivering the services we have come to epxect. If that means a measure of private care, so be it. Lots of debate on this for years to come. There is no quick fix.

Child-care. I am hugely supportive of the Conservative policy. My wife and I want to raise our own children with my wife staying in the home. How does an institutionalized program help us out? And why should my taxes pay for people to work? I'm sorry, but this is the only plan I've seen that is universal. All Canadian families will get the money. Also, it seems to be forgotten that money will be used to create more spaces, as well as incentives for businesses to set up day-care programs. I disagree with the belief that there is only one answer: government day-care. The Conservative plan will generate heated debate but I think it will pass in the end.

Crime. It's about time someone decided to get tough on crime. I'm of the firm opinion that we are a little too lenient on criminals. They are not all victims in need of love and support. Some people are dumb and deserve to be punished period. I think the government is right to want to focus more on tightening the rules as opposed to being so warm and fuzzy. We have jails for a reason. There's no need to fill them needlessly but certain people have earned the esteemed right to be locked away for a long time.

Accountability. No question with this one. Any party would be foolish to vote against many the measures contained in the proposed Accountability Act.

All in all, a pretty solid package. There will likely be few surprises in the Throne Speech but I am excited to see this new era in Canadian Politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home