Monday, March 13, 2006

Last Week In A Nutshell

I've decided to take a bit of a break from writing my term paper to.... write in my blog. Wait a second...

In any case, I've had quite a bit on my mind looking back on the past week of happenings right here in Canada. There really isn't a good way to sum it all up so I'll just take a minute or two for some of the major issues that caught my eye.

First, I'm actually pretty happy to see that the PM made it out to Afghanistan as a show of support to the troops. I watched a little newscast on the CBC which in closing had the reporter saying that this probably wasn't one of the best times for this kind of visit. To that I would ask if in a country experiencing these kinds of challenges, is there really a good time to visit? I really believe that this visit marks a very big step for a Canadian PM. I see it as a very real sign that what our soldiers are doing really matters.

As for Mr. Shapiro, he may not have had the best week ever. I have to admit that I was disappointed with the initial reaction by the PMO saying that the PM "was loathe to cooperate with the Ethics Commisioner." This didn't really seem like something I would expect to hear from the party I had worked hard for and supported with my vote. This sounded very much like certain elements of previous Liberal governments in terms of sheer uninhibited arrogance. However, the more I've been bombarded with the story and taken the time to think about the issue, I've come to the conclusion that the PMO has a few very good points.

Mr. Shapiro was undeniably absent when both Scott Brison and Belinda Stronach crossed to floor to sit as Liberals, and as new cabinet ministers. I have heard no explanation for this lack of prudence on the part of the Ethics Commish... why? Although it has a somewhat negative appearance, I do think I can see why the PMO would say what was said. Also, I find the hypocrisy of the NDP is sickening. All but a few months ago they were calling for Mr. Shapiro to resign. Now, they've put on this ridiculous charade of pretending to be his biggest fan. I can't say I'm surprised though. I expect little more from a party that lacks any real vision for this country.

On a lighter and much less political note, I was privileged to be able to attend the wedding of my wife's cousin and his beautiful bride. It gave me the opportunity to really think about how I feel about my own marriage, which I might add is moving along well at a little more than a year and a half. A lot of my peers at the University think I'm a bit nuts to be married at only 23, and with a son on top of that. Sure it's tough but I wouldn't trade any of what I have now for anything else the world could offer me. I love my wife, my son, and I love the experiences that we are able to have together as a family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home