Saturday, March 25, 2006

Happy Ending?

I haven't commented on this as of yet because I wanted to take a little while to let it sink in in spite of aggressive media saturation. Now that this whole incident in Iraq with the 3 now-freed hostages is mostly at an end, I offer my take on a few key points.

Firstly, it's always a good thing to see these kinds of endings. I can't even begin to imagine what must have been endured by the victims and their respective families. They credited their faith with giving them the courage to withstand these trials, and ultimately, for bringing this ordeal to an end. Here's though where it starts to get a little fuzzy.

I find it tremendously disappointing that Christian Peacemaker Teams refuses to acknowledge the efforts of the special forces who rescued them. I don't really care if you're staunch anti-war activists. You owe it to these organizations for the safety of your members. Your blatant ignorance in the face of such heroism is ridiculous and goes against the very principles of the movement you claim to represent. I don't doubt your sincerity... obviously you have people who are compelled to go into dangerous areas of the world to work for something good.

I know that God works in ways that we can't really understand, and often fail to appreciate. To the CPT I would ask if anyone in your group has even considered that perhaps God might have been working through various organizations (special forces included) in order to bring about the safe release of your workers? You may not wish to believe it but I don't think it would be wise to brush off these events as some random coincidence.

I'm happy you saw such a pleasant outcome but I think it's time to pull your head out of the sand and recognize some truly significant work instead of automatically avoiding it like you're trying to do.

UPDATE:
Heard a report on the CBC with some snippets from one of the victims as he returned to Canada. He was not so hesitant to thank the efforts of the government and the special forces who saved him. I should have mentioned earlier that much of my criticism was directed specifically at some of the leadership and PR of CPT, and not the victims. I should also note that I am not painting the whole group with the same brush. I don't know them well enough to give an entirely accurate take on their activities. What I did see and hear (or didn't in terms of a simple thank you) was what made me a little upset. Oh well. Nothing too get too worked up over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home