Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Debate en Francais

I wanted to make it a point to check out tonight's debate as I expected there would be healthy discussion on just how ridiculous Martin's 'notwithstanding' pledge is. Not being a French speaker, it was a little challenging to get a feel for the debates... I couldn't sense the emotion and energy through the translators the way a native speaker could. I do think though that Stephen Harper did everything that he needed to. He kept his cool and laid out his policy priorities for Quebec and for Canada.

My favorite part of the evening came in the analysis after the debate. Mike Duffy was with his usual panel of party strategists, including the illustrious John Duffy with the Liberals. There was a lot of discussion about how negative the new Liberal ads are, particularly dealing with the spicy little piece on the military. I saw the ad myself... I thought it was one of the worst political advertsiements I've ever seen as long as I've been following politics. It gave me the impression that the Libs were trying to convince Canadians that the Tories would, with their new army, invade the country and establish a new radical right-wing regime. What a piece of advertising crap!

The Duff repeatedly questioned the Liberal strategist on why they would sink so low and use the Canadian Forces as a political pawn. I've noticed lately that when John Duffy would be asked these kind of pointed questions he would try and change the subject and accuse the media of doing little more than bring up the stuff that doesn't really matter. Tonight was no different. John Duffy got on his horse and answered, questioning once again why the Duff continues to focus on this alleged negativity. What happened next was simply magic... John Duffy was put in his place. Mike Duffy, probably one of the most easy-going political commentators in the Canadian media, went off on little John. He said that he brings up these issues because they do matter, and that it's a matter of integrity. The Duff also accused little John of trying to intimidate him during commercial breaks. Wow!! I have rarely seen such awesome moments during a Canadian election. John Duffy, once proud Liberal strategist, had been put in his place. He'd been called on his BS performance and had no alternative but to shut up. I loved it!

Liberal arrogance is betraying the very people that expected to secure another win at the polls. Harper and the Tories are well on the way to victory... Keep going, guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home