Monday, January 09, 2006

The Debate, Round 2

My wife and I went over to Rahim Jaffer's campign office to watch the debates with other volunteers and conservative-minded folk. I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed the debate.

I've been anticipating these debates for some time now, especially considering the recent Conservative surges in the polls. Overall, I feel that Stephen Harper did the best job in showing Canada that he can be a leader. He stayed on topic, answered questions, and kept his cool. I can't say that about Paul Martin, who frequently dodged questions and jumped around to other issues. Once again the fear card comes out and rears its ugly head. It's a shame that there are still people who buy it.

One of the biggest surprises for me was hearing Paul Martin's pledge to get rid of the notwithstanding clause. Maybe it's just me but that seems like one of the worst ideas the Libs have had in their ever growing string of bad ideas. I think that it is an incredibly bad idea to leave the final say with the courts. They play an important role but I'm much happier knowing that elected officials are deciding the direction of this country, not appointed judges.

2 Comments:

Blogger trustonlymulder said...

Martin's 'notwithstanding clause' statement may have cost him another 5% in the polls.

What a major blunder. This is going to be huge when the populace gets educated by the press on this issue in the next few days.

Many don't understand that without the clause, the Charter would never have passed. That is how critical it was, and is.

If this clause gets changed...be afraid...be very afraid.

Who's scary now?

9:21 p.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. You can really see Paul Martin's growing desperation with statements like this.

9:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home