Thursday, January 05, 2006

Good Read

I just finished a new book that I got for Christmas. I don't get enough opportunity to read for leisure anymore... too much time is often consumed by textbooks and we all know how fun those can be. State of Fear by Michael Crichton turned out to be much more informative for me than I had originally expected.
I've long enjoyed Crichton's writing... he can go into incredible detail and still keep it entertaining. This particular work dealt with the idea of global warming. Admittedly, it is primarily a work of fiction but I have to say that I've had many misconceptions about global warming defused in the course of my reading. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in hearing something other than the doom-and-gloom messages we are so often bombarded with by sensationalist environmentalists through an all too willing media. I was simply reminded of the fact that we really don't have a clue when it comes to environmental preservation and control. There are just too many factors to consider and unfortunately, too much bias in the science we often see. I should state that neither myself or Mr. Crichton are staunchly opposed to those efforts that exist to give help to a world that in my mind desperately needs it. What I admire about this book was just how it was able to have open and frank discussion of the issues without all that unnecessary hysteria. It's highly refreshing.
It's also been a busy day on the campaign. I'll have to write more later after I've checked more of the news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home