Friday, January 06, 2006

Gold for Canada, Less than Golden Behavior

I didn't watch the game (even my peasant-vision doesn't always work) but I saw how Canada won a decisive victory over Russia in the World Junior Hockey Championship. I wasn't sure if they could do it with such a young team but they overcame expectations and won hearts with their spectacular performance. Congratulations! The only things that in my mind would have made the victory a little more wholesome was if Canadian fans had shown a lot more dignity during the Russia-USA match a few days previous. What, exactly, is the point of booing the United States at a hockey game, especially when the home team isn't even playing them? Once again, we self-righteously wear our prejudices and misunderstanding on our sleeves by conducting oursleves in that way. I'm really sure that those 18-year old have a lot to do with US government policy... if they really care much at all. Last I checked they came up there to play a little hockey and nothing more. These are the times when I sometimes feel a little ashamed to be a Canadian. I lived in the US for a couple of years and I was amazed at just how many Americans respected our country for the good work that it has done and does around the world. Those who notice this ridiculous anti-Americanism aren't exactly likely to maintain that opinion. You can't blame that on an unpopular administration... that fault lies squarely on the childish behavior of far too many a Canuck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

true enough... again, i wish i could have seen more of the game. I just get a little upset when i read about stuff like that.

1:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home