Monday, January 23, 2006

Congratulations, Stephen Harper... Prime Minister of Canada!

What a night to remember! After a long day scrutineering in one of the closest races of Alberta (Edmonton Strathcona) I raced over to join my friends where we watched the election unfold on the big screen. Are the results disappointing? No. Conservatism has been given a real opportunity in this country and I know that Stephen Harper will do a great job as PM.

I have a few thoughts that I will briefly comment on. Firstly, I offer my heartfelt congratulations to the parties and their candidates. Campaigns have their moments when emotions rise and tempers can flare. However, running in an election and being willing to put your name on a ballot by standing up for what you believe in takes a lot of guts.

I believe that all of the leaders were gracious and showed true character in their addresses this evening. I respect Paul Martin more at the end of the day than I did at the beginning, and it's not because he said he would resign. I think he showed real class when he acknowledged the will of the voters and was willing to step aside for the benefit of a movement that he feels very strongly in. I do not always agree with Liberal policies but I do not doubt that Mr. Martin is a good man who cares about his country. The same can be said about the other leaders.

A word to NDP supporters, though. Jack Layton was dignified... too many of you were not when you booed Stephen Harper. As far as I can tell, you were the only ones who did so. Other camps politely applauded as a show of support and respect for the vote. In my mind, you do your party a great disservice by acting in such a way. Grow up!

As for Stephen Harper and the Tories, I admit that I am thrilled with the prospect of a Conservative government. I've long felt that it would be much better for the Tories and for Canada to have a minority. Harper will have challenges and making this parliament work will be difficult. I think he can do it, though. I really think he can.

I will continue to blog. To share what insight I can into how I view the political landscape. At times I will agree, and I'm positive that I will see things that I do not support. I'm not simply going to accept everything that this government does just because I happen to support them. Democracy allows for healthy debate and discussion. I would hope that parliamentarians and people take advantage of those chances to participate and share ideas. A willingness to work together and compromise wouldn't hurt either.

I will long remember this night. I have waited for it for some time. I'm excited for the possibilities that this government can make happen for me and for Canadians.

I look forward to seeing this new chapter unfold.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad day for canada, to see the likes of harper, even in a minority placing.

1:22 a.m.  
Blogger Jason said...

I've never heard anyone say that EVERYONE would support this new government. I do find it sad though that people have already written them off.

Yes, no one knows at this point how this new government will do. I don't expect that Canada, as we know it, will be dramatcally changed in any way.

If you are one of those who have bought into the 'doom and gloom' portrayals shared byt Tory opponents, all I'll say is have fun watching from your bomb shelters. The rest of us are going to try and keep this country moving.

9:25 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home